Welcome to Lake Farm
We are a home for 90 intellectually disabled adults who live in 7 hostels. Most of the residents work in 10 different work groups or workshops and contribute to the upkeep and running of the centre.
The village started in 1959, opened in 1960 and celebrated our 60th anniversary in 2020.
Dear Parents, Guardians and Families
Just a quick email to touch base and tell you how we are doing.
• Thankfully, to date, we haven’t had any Covid-19 positive cases.
• If you are up to date with the news, you will know that things are quite bad in some areas, and sadly, most of us will either know someone with Covid-19 or have perhaps lost someone we know.
• The Lockdown regulations still require us to “stay home and don’t visit”, which we are applying here. We do allow a chat at the gate if it won’t upset the resident, with masks on and at a distance, and we do allow packages to be delivered to the gate for the residents currently here.
• As to when LFC will be “open” again – sorry, but still no definite answer possible. We have to look at the stats and as long as there is “peaking in numbers”, we can’t yet give a date. The invitation is still open – give me a call should you need to talk.
• Things are happening on this front, I’m happy to say. Small maintenance jobs are handled daily (fixing door locks, small paint jobs, repairing furniture, leaking toilets, cleaning gutters, etc) and larger one’s (electrical and plumbing problems and OHS (Occupational Health & Safety) are being addressed systematically.
• All the preliminary work for our solar geyser system, which I mentioned in the last email, is done and the project is formally starting on the 3rd August 2020. We hope to report on a significant reduction in our electrical bill soon!
• The residents had an outing (wors braai) yesterday, in two groups (top & bottom), at the Apiarista Bee Farm close by. It was quite a feat ensuring safety, but the owners were extremely accommodating and our staff organised things really well and managed to give the residents a safe and enjoyable experience.
• You will notice that we ask about the future responsibility of the resident on the form. This is to encourage you to plan and organise this in a more “binding” way. LFC finances are still a concern, in particular long term.
Amelia – Update from General Manager (Lake Farm Centre)
Coffee Shop and Craft Centre
Enjoy a Great Outing to Lake Farm Centre
NOTICE! THE LAKE FARM COFFEE SHOP WILL BE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO THE LOCKDOWN ANNOUNCED THIS EVENING – 23RD MARCH 2020 – BY OUR PRESIDENT IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONVID-19 VIRUS AND THE SAFETY OF OUR RESIDENTS AND THE PUBLIC.
The Lake Farm shop is open every Saturday and Sunday in the morning from 10 to 12:30.
Mastertons Coffee Available